Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Our first visitors

This past weekend my Mom and Dad flew down to Atlanta to stay with us for a few days. Last time they were here we moved in, spent a lot of money, got lost a lot, and kept them up late. This time around, there was no moving in. And we got lost less often. Aimee and I were just so excited and thankful to be able to host them here and show them around a bit. Naturally, it revolved largely around food.

The weekend started at the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, gate C30. We were able to time our incoming flights pretty well as I was arriving from Austin. We got home, got a proper greeting from Aimee and Crowley and the headed out for some Fellini's Pizza. Due to a pesky hole in our air mattress, my parent's sleep was, well, pretty flat. Consequently, we are now the proud owners of two twin Aero Beds. Dinner Friday night was at Murphy's in VaHi. Along with Rosebud, Murphy's is fast emerging as a favorite spot for brunch and dinner.

Saturday we went to the DeKalb International Farmer's Market which never quite ceases to amaze me. The highlight of this particular trip was purchasing 3 pounds of Alaskan King Crab legs. Later, at the risk of giving my parents nightmares from owning a dog, we decided to give Crowley a bath. My dad snapped this shot of Crowley looking decided evil:


Back to the crab legs. This was a definite first for me. We went with a pretty basic cooking technique and made good use of our large All-Clad steamer. I steamed them for about 8 minutes until they were "aromatic and hot to the touch". I love vague cooking instructions. Anyway, paired with some clarified butter for dipping, fresh pasta, and homemade marinara sauce, we had ourselves a mighty fine dinner! A mighty fine way to kick off the Notre Dame/Michigan State game watch.
On Sunday we started with brunch at Rosebud. I had the Alon's brioche French toast with orange-rosemary syrup. Other entrees included the Ultimate Pancake, Gordo's Breakfast, and a broccoli and pimento cheese omelette. All fantastic!

The weekend drew to a close with us going to 5pm mass at IHM. As always it was nice to introduce my parents to some new friends there. Our outbound trip was similarly expertly timed as I flew to Tampa for some training. Next thing I knew I was driving across Tampa Bay with the top down (compliments of Avis):

This coming weekend we are headed to Washington DC for Jenny's wedding. Having met her fiance a few times I'm especially happy for her as he seems like a great guy. More to come after that!

No comments: