Sunday, January 2, 2011

Veni, Vidi, Visa

NYE DinnerWhich, roughly translated, means:  “I came to the restaurant all dressed up with Aimee for their New Year’s Eve Prix Fixe dinner, I saw the delicious courses and wine pairings as I consumed them, and I paid handsomely with my Chase Freedom Visa card”.  Seriously it was a really fantastic evening at Veni Vidi Vici.  We had four courses and went with the selected wine pairings for each one:  Antipasti with prosecco, Primi (orchietta with Italian sausage and rapini and porchetta with crisped artichokes) paired with a chianti, Secondi (trout and potatoes and beef tenderloin) paired with a deeper red for Aimee and a pinot grigio for me, and finally a Dolci course with moscato d’asti.  It was fun to dress up and celebrate the new year (and a Notre Dame bowl victory!).

IMG_2614

On New Year’s Day we relaxed the whole day, aside from some much needed grocery shopping.  After watching the Michigan State Alabama game, we decided to do some cooking of our own.  Aimee made beef tenderloin and delicious potatoes.

Fingerling potatoes with herbs and shallots for our New Years Day Dinner

I made chocolate chip cookies with my newly acquired pure Mexican vanilla extract (we’re not in Madagascar anymore Dorothy).

Chocolate chip cookies, made with Mexican vanilla extract

Inspired by my success with those, I moved on to freshly baked bread.  I use the double rise recipe in Better Homes but modified it slightly to made a cinnamon swirl variety as well.  Both turned out great!

Homemade white bread and cinnamon swirl bread

Today I did a long overdue re-arranging of the furniture and received this little delight in the mail:  a returned Christmas card with some phonetic advice for my budding southern accent.

Returned mail - only in the south.

Happy New Year’s everyone!!!!

No comments: