Sunday, August 22, 2010

Staying Busy in Atlanta

Happy Sunday all! This past week I was in Austin for a few days visiting my colleagues and the client there. Good trip but man it was hot. They should work "Hot" into the name for Austin and leave Atlanta to be something like "Humid-lanta" because that's all it's been lately. (Do any actual Atlantans use the exonym Hotlanta?)...

Let's see where to start... here's the latest family picture with Aimee and me sporting our new Emory t-shirts. On Friday night, donning our collegiate gear, we went to La Fonda Latina (umm, it's a restaurant). We had some great Cuban/Latin fare. I highly recommend.


Thought I'd share this cute picture of Crowley. As a reminder, all of our Atlanta pictures are on our Picasa site.

In shopping news, several fun purchases were made! We went to Atlantic Station and hit Banana Republic and Ann Taylor Loft. Aimee got some nice new work clothes on sale. And I.
I finally got a Blu-Ray player! I had it all picked out at Best Buy but ended up going through Amazon -- it was hard to ignore the price difference. Despite some warnings that Atlantic Station is fast becoming "thugged out", we made it through. Nice area really!


Brings us to today which started with a trip down to the Old Fourth Ward for brunch Highland Bakery. We got ricotta pancakes with blueberries and a breakfast BLT -- great start to the day!

From there we finally got to the Atlanta Botanical Garden adjacent to Piedmont Park. Couple things. One is that they have been plugging this canopy walk, inviting us to "tip toe along the treetops". I'd say they rounded up on that description. Here's a better one: "we've created a new walkway that is long enough to not be considered a ramp but short enough to not serve any real purpose except drum up business". I guess I was just underwhelmed. The rest of the gardens were great though. We saw no fewer than two carnivorous plants (Venus Flytrap pictured below), a beautiful conservatory of rare orchids, and waterlillies that appeared as if they were placed by an artist's brush.

Mass at IHM at dinner at Shorty's with Michael was a great close to the weekend. Their baked potato and bacon pizza was a fond reminder of our trips to East Lansing to Georgio's pizza. Have a great week all!

p.s. for those who mistakenly thought Aimee was at Old St. Pat's this weekend, she'd like you [Wes] to know that she is updating her Facebook privacy settings.

1 comment:

Wes said...

I thought it was a bit odd that Facebook's default security setting for their new Places feature, was to allow any of your friends to check you in. In fact, we had a little bit of fun checking in one of our friends who was out in Canada for vacation. I had about given up playing that little prank for good, until I noticed Aimee using it. Sorry if I created a deluge of phone calls and text messages!

Bonus note: I actually tried checking in BOTH Mark and Aimee, but apparently Mark changed his settings, but not Aimee's. Haha!